LEEDS 2 (Varney 63, 69), SHEFF WEDNESDAY 1 (Johnson 27)

United: Kenny, Byram, Pearce, Warnock (Tonge 85), Drury, Norris (Diouf 46), Green, Austin, Varney, McCormack, Morison (White 60). Subs: Ashdown, Poleon, Somma, Hall.

Sheff Weds: Kirkland, Buxton, Gardner, Llera, R Johnson, Prutton, Helan, Coke, Holden (Maguire 73), Lita, J Johnson (Howard 53). Subs: Taylor, Mattock, McCabe, Lee, Bywater.

Referee: N Swarbrick.

Brian McDermott took his place in the Elland Road dug-out for the first time, less than 48 hours after being confirmed as the club;s new manager.

Brian McDermott

His first starting line-up saw Stephen Warnock, playing in a central defensive role in place of the injured Lee Peltier, named captain of the side.

It was a typical derby opening with neither side finding any time on the ball, but it was United who fashioned out the first real opening after 10 minutes when Steve Morison was involved from close range as the visitors hacked the ball clear.

Rodolph Austin also sent an early effort wide of the upright, but in truth there was little in the way of goalmouth action during a real stop-start first 20 minutes or so.

Austin send a free-kick wide from distance and the visitors responded by testing Paddy Kenny for the first time, but there was no real fluency to a game littered with free-kicks.

Sheffield Wednesday got their noses in front shortly before the half-hour, though, when a long punt forward from Chris Kirkland was flicked into the path of Jermaine Johnson, who lifted the ball over Paddy Kenny.

Steve Morison

United's response came courtesy of two Ross McCormack free-kicks. The first was headed clear by Miguel Llera while Jason Pearce glanced the second one wide of the mark.

Kenny was called upon to make a couple of saves before the break, and it was the visitors who went in a goal to the good at half-time.

El-Hadji Diouf was introduced at half-time and he added an immediate spark to proceedings as United started the second half on the front foot.

Morison was crowded out when through on goal before Chris Kirkland denied McCormack after great play by Diouf. The rebound was scrambled clear with Luke Varney and Paul Green closing in.

The equaliser came moments after the hour, though, when McCormack delivered a peach of a cross and Varney headed home off the underside of the bar.

Luke Varney scores

And it was 2-1 to United on 69 minutes when McCormack again played the role of provider with a real intelligent run before delivering the ball back into the box for Varney to head home once again.

With United holding the advantage, it was the visitors who sought a way back into the contest and they started to pile on the pressure.

Both Steven Howard and Leroy Lita came within a whisk of levelling, while Jason Pearce had to scramble the ball clear after more pressure.

As the game headed towards the 90-minute mark United appeared to have weathered the storm, but three added minutes ensured there could be no respite.