CHARLTON 2 (Jackson 46, Obika 90+4), LEEDS 1 (Varney 82)

Charlton: Hamer, Hughes, Jackson, Morrison, Pritchard, Wiggins, Kermorgant, Fuller (Kerkar 77), Solly, Harriott (Obika 86), Dervite. Subs. Button, Taylor, Stephens, Gower, Wilson.

Leeds: Kenny, Byram, Peltier (Austin 90), Pearce, Warnock, Green, Tonge (Brown 88), Norris, White (Varney 66), Morison, McCormack Subs. Ashdown, Austin, Poleon, Diouf, Habibou.

Referee: S Atwell

Att: 18, 900

Booked: Jackson (Charlton) Tonge, Norris, Brown (Leeds)

Leeds United caretaker manager Neil Redfearn began his second stint in charge of the club away at Charlton Athletic.

Steve Morison at CharltonFor the trip to The Valley the caretaker boss made changes in the midfield by recalling Aidy White, David Norris and Michael Tonge. Steve Morison and Ross McCormack were chosen to provide the attacking threat for Redfearn's first game in control.

It was United that had the first chance of the game when a cross from the returning White was met by Morison in the Charlton penalty area but his first-time effort was saved comfortably by Ben Hamer.

The opening 10 minutes passed with both teams looking to attack. Paddy Kenny was called upon twice in the space of a minute to keep the scores level. Firstly to save from Jason Pearce after he sliced a teasing cross into the air and again to stop an acrobatic Yann Kerorgant effort.

Kenny was again called into action to save well from Bradley Pritchard with Michael Morrison blasting over the rebound from close range.

With the 30 minute mark approaching United were on the front foot with Paul Green having a strike at goal but he could only send it over Hamer's bar.

David Norris at CharltonMoments later it was the home side's turn to try and break the deadlock before half time with an headed chance from Kermorgant and a shot from distance from Callum Harriott, both flew just wide of the mark.

The home side threatened again with a raid down the left flank that ended with a cross fizzing across the face of the United goal.

With the first half drawing to a close it was the home side that finished the stronger with half-chances coming their way but the United defence stood strong to end the half all square.

United were delt a blow at the start of the second half after a shot from Andrew Hughes was deflected into the path of Johnnie Jackson who fired home from close range to make it 1-0.

With United pushing for the equaliser as the game passed the 60 minute mark Michael Tonge fired a shot at goal only to see the home defence block his effort. But in the same move the ball found its way through to Morison whose effort hit the outside of the post.

United continued to apply the pressure and after good build up play from Paul Green and Sam Byram midfielder Tonge saw an effort fly over the bar.

United's pressure finally came through on 82 minutes when, after Charlton failed to clear their lines, substitute Luke Varney fired at goal from inside the box to level the scores.

The game flowed from end to end as both sides pushed for what would be the winner. United captain Lee Peltier made a decisive block when Chris Solly shot with just minutes reamaining.

As the 90 minutes came to an end and the game headed into four minutes of injury time United were forced to bring off Peltier due to injury, the change saw Rudy Austin slot into the defence for the final moments.

It was the home side who pushed forward in injury time and they got their rewards in the fourth minute after the 90 when substitute Jonathan Obika headed in the winner.